Friday, January 29, 2010

Sofia's Nursery


After about 2-3 months of shopping, waiting for sales, changing my mind a millon times, lots of sweat and tears....my nursery, well...

Sofia's nursery is almost done!
We decided to not go the traditional route and shop only at baby stores. Overly pink or cutesy furniture drives me insane. Not to mention the fact that as soon as you call it 'baby' furniture the price goes way UP! I wanted to make sure that we got ONLY what we wanted. Right away I knew I wanted clean and simple lines in the room. The bigger pieces are simple, monochromatic and the little touches have a bit more detail.

We really didn't want an overwhelmingly cluttered room.

We chose a great paint brand called: The FreshAire Choice in Organic Garden. No nasty fumes for baby! Hubby was great and painted about 99% of the room, but it was great to be able to help paint too and not have to inhale fumes :)

I looked for weeks for a bedding set I liked, NO LUCK...Nothing seemed to be quite right or it was +$400 for a 'designer' set. I decided to look on Etsy for something custom made. We ended up choosing the bedding from a fellow Etsian who has a shop called BabyDarling. Check out her super cute stuff. WE LOVE IT! The paint color matches the grey in the Amy Butler fabric she used. (did you think that was a coincidence? Nothing is coincidence. There's always a plan LOL ;)





(Crib has since moved, haven't taken a pic in the new spot yet)


The glass bubble lamps were re-used from our master bedroom (orginally from JcPenneys). The mirror at the changing table was...ready for this?.....$50!! It's from Bombay Company with a regular price tag of $350! We went to the Las Olas Art Fair, as we do every year, and noticed that there was a baby store going out of business. That street is a tourist trap so we were only browsing. Then I saw the mirror on the wall with a sign that read: EVERYTHING IN THE STORE MUST GO! $50 ONLY!.....I grabbed it and said: I NEED THIS! The owner of the store sold it to me in a second. Lucky for me, she was eager to get rid of it. Dresser is Ikea ($279). We replaced the ugly black pulls with pretty clear pulls from walmart.



We found a fixture for the ceiling at World Market for the insane price of $55 - on sale of course (reg. price was $69). All the other Capiz Chandeliers I've seen range from $100-$300.

Good buy and asolutely worth the wait!

I couldn't wrap my head around buying an 80's looking poofy, chunky, ugly glider (upwards of $300 at baby stores...crazy) or wobbly rocking chair so I opted for Ikea's Poang Chair ($149 chair, $70 footstool). I'm one of those people who gets motion sickness on the moving walkways at the airport so this chair has just enough bounce to not make me nauseated. :) It's design is gorgeous, clean & simple, the fabric pattern looks great with the rest of the color palette in the room, and most importantly, it's comfortable!

We purchased the matching footstool later also (not pictured here).
Curtains are Ikea, rug is Ikea ($50), and the little metal mirror top table I found at marshalls for only 24.99 and on accident, might I add!



Super important in a room, especially a baby room is storage! The expedit storage unit ($159) is awesome & with a few durable, simple baskets from Target I added a splash of Fuschia.





We are 99% done! The only thing left to do is the mobile over her crib.

Working on that now, pictures to come soon!!

18 comments:

  1. Where did u get the bedding? I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bedding is from Etsy! The seller is Babydarling just click on the name, it should take you directly to her store! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your nursery is gorgeous! I came across it on Rate My Space. I love the colors- great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the chair. Where did you purchase it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE your style!!
    I am a baby photographer and am on the search for an awesome nursery for a photo contest I am doing with 19 other photographers nationwide. Would you mind sharing the details with your readers who might want to enter their stylish nursery?

    www.christieadamsphotography.com/blog/?p=1982

    ReplyDelete
  6. The chair is the POANG CHAIR from Ikea....Awesome deal, simple beautiful design! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome room girl! Yeah, isn't the cost of baby bedding crap? WAY too pricey and crappy looking unless you spend like $800?! I'm making my own!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the room - where did you get the crib? skpjana@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw your daughter's nursery on spearmintbaby.com and it's gorgeous! What's your opinion of the quality of the Ikea dresser? We're considering it for our son's nursery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this is one of my favorite rooms I have seen online and I feel like I have looked at million. It is just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. where did you get the paper used behind the letters of her name?? sooo pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw your pic's and fell in love with the whole nursery and i'm having a baby girl this summer so want the room to look like this. :) Anyways I went to get the swatch of this color and it looks really dark. Is it lighter than the swatch once you you paint the wall?
    I love the leters and the paper you have on the wall behind the letters, May I ask where did you get them at? THanks again for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Could you tell me about the Poang chair? Does IKEA sell that cushion or did you make it? Love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE the wall color - you mentioned the brand but can you give the name of that shade please? I also LOVE how you changed the knobs on the IKEA dresser - looks fabulous. Beautiful room.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello everyone thanks for the comments! Sorry it took so long to get back to you all. Having a newborn is a tad bit time consuming. ;)

    Condit Family - the paper is from JoAnns Fabric, the letters are also from there.

    Laura@JourneyChic - I looove the dresser. Great great buy! Looks super expensive but isn't. I would absolutely suggest changing the knobs though. The factory ones look a little cheap.

    Shiff - Wall color is ORGANIC GARDEN.

    Anonymous - it is exactly the same color as the swatch after TWO coats of paint. The lighting in the room makes a huge difference though. We have a ton of natual light coming in, but it looks different at differnt times of the day.

    The Poang chair cushions are from Ikea also. I can't sew to save my life! lol

    I hope I answered everyone's questions! Feel free to ask more... :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know I'm posting this a little late but I ADORE your nursery. I bookmarked it for ideas - we're doing purple and using dark furniture but I just love the girly touches without it screaming "BABY GIRL!" in your face :-)

    ReplyDelete