Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Plans, Expectations and Reality

Of course, when things are going smoothly you tend to get bored. Life as a mommy has been great for me. I had an easy newborn. She slept through the night, never cried much, was content to play alone and not be held too much and ate like a champ. She was fun, happy and healthy! What more could you ask for? Apparently, the answer to that question is: ANOTHER BABY!

Hubby and I went back and forth for a long time trying to decide when the 'right time' would be to start trying for baby #2. We were so enamored with Sofia that we couldn't wait to do everything all over again. I had a dream pregnancy with Sofia (except for a few snafu's at the end) but nothing so crazy as to scare me away from another 9 months of the bliss of being pregnant. So why not?

The original plan was to wait until Sofia was 14-16 months old. We figured it would take a while to get pregnant so we started trying when Sofia was 11 months. I got pregnant with Lucas when Sofia was......wait for it......11 months! So much for 'taking a while.' :) Sofia is now 16 months and I am 23 weeks along (about 6 days away from starting my 7th month - phew!).

I went into this pregnancy with a really positive attitude, thinking - hoping, that it would be like my first. I was wrong. I had about 6 weeks of pretty intense morning sickness. To be perfectly honest, it was more like morning, noon & night sickness. It is horrific to feel nauseated (carsick explains it perfectly) all day. With Sofia I had about a week and a half of mild car sickness, which I breezed through with some trusty crackers by my side. From weeks 13 to about NOW it's been great, but it's slowly starting to get harder and harder.


You can never anticipate what it's going to be like to be pregnant and have a toddler running around. IT'S HARD! I have gained 10 pounds total (not much, but quickly, all in the last 2 months) and it might as well be 30, because I feel it everywhere. Thanks to how quickly I gained those 10 pounds I found my first small, yet horrifying pregnancy stretch mark (I was completely stretch mark free with Sofia)! My joints hurt a lot this time, especially my ankles, knees & hips. My back is hurting a lot also, all of it, not just my lower back. With my first pregnancy I wasn't working. I had all the time in the world to nap, relax, go to yoga, & shop. Plus, tons of extra energy to do anything else.....For this pregnancy, once you throw in my toddlers daily needs, I have a couple of hours left of free time. Wait, what? A couple of hours sounds like plenty of time? 2 hours IS a long time, but not when you have a new house to take care of (just moved in 3 months ago), a husband who comes home hungry, laundry that needs to be done, an hour yoga class that I would love to go to once in a while, a nursery to finish, and some alone time would be nice, maybe a longer-than-2-minute-shower (please?!). Plus, everyone knows that being pregnant & hormonal is exhausting. It hurts to bend over too much, there is no comfortable position and by the end of the day I am sick tired. Literally, feeling sick.


So, whats a fairly young (31), pregnant, already mommy of 1 energetic toddler, to do?....GIVE UP!....


I give up.....I went into this wholeheartedly ready for a rough time, but geez, really? lol I cannot and decidedly won't, try to be superwoman. Somethings gotta give and it can't be my sanity. I love my Sofia to pieces and she needs to be my main priority along with Lucas who cannot be well if I'm not well.


I know it all sounds like complaining, but I should be allowed to complain. Anyone who has been in my position can relate, right? I am completely grateful for my new home, my family, my health and this new baby in my tummy, but I can't deny that things are sometimes too much for me to handle. I am bracing myself for some rougher times ahead with my last three months of pregnancy coming up and the first 3-4 months with a newborn. I just have to take a deep breath and repeat the new mommy mantra I hear so many people say all the time:


IT'LL GET BETTER SOON! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment